Reboot American Values

The game is stacked.  Unless you go into certain fields and maneuver a golden parachute, expect to watch the rich get richer and the poor poorer.  According to September 11, 2013 Associated Press article, “the gulf between the richest 1 percent and the rest of America is the widest it’s been since the Roaring 20’s.  In 2012 the income of the top 1 percent rose nearly 20 percent compared to a 1 percent increase for the remaining 99 percent.  That statistic makes me cringe.

In the generation of the Robber Barons, Rockefeller, Carnegie, Vanderbilt, Morgan, and others believed their ruthless, but huge economic successes , achieved by unethical, and  perhaps illegal means based on today’s standards, was part of a Divine Endorsement.  Yet, we remember and even idolize their homes and think kindly of their charitable works, ignoring the lives they literally destroyed.

Why is it that many of us fail to embrace, showcase, and teach our children that it is simply wrong to maneuver others to turn over their time, products, concepts to a few , rather than justly compensate all?

Where are our social entrepreneur heroes and heroines  in history?  Can you find Martha Matilda Harper, Madame CJ Walker, and others as top examples of inventive poor women who decided to bring along others with their success and to insist that success had to be based on principles?

I love business.  I know how hard it is to create a business, hire , motivate and support people to form a successful team.  I believe risk-takers should be justly compensated.  But, how much is enough?  I think we need to begin at early childhood, rewarding and encouraging our children and grandchildren to be kind, inclusive, sensitive, along with bold and brave.  We need to acknowledge that our role models need to change as we reboot our values and truly walk the talk of being an admirable society.  We have those models; we just  need to dust them off from history and  spotlight them.  We can make societal difference; we simply need the will.  Are you ready?

, , , , , , ,

Subscribe

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: